India’s medal tally in the Asian Games 2018, Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia closed at 69 medals including 15 gold, 24 silver and 30 bronze. This is India’s best performance in the Asian Games till date. The Games got underway with Neeraj Chopra as the flag bearer at the opening ceremony and culminated today, on September 2 with Indian women’s hockey team captain, Rani Rampal as the flag bearer at the closing ceremony.
Here’s a Summary of India’s winning medals at the Asian Games 2018:
- ATHLETICS : MEDALS: 19 (7 gold, 10 silver and 2 bronze medals) Neeraj Chopra set a new national record by winning a gold medal in javelin throw. Swapna Barman in Hepathlon alongside the Women’s relay team (Gold). Jinsons Johnson won gold in 1500m , Manjit Singh in 800m and Arpinder Singh in triple jump. Tejinder Pal Singh Toor won a Gold in Men’s Shot Put.
- ARCHERY: MEDALS: 2 (2 silver medals) Rajat Chauhan, Aman Saini and Abhishek Verma, the India Men’s team and the India Women’s Compound team, comprising Jyothi Surekha Vennam, Muskan Kirar, and Madhumita Kumari,win the Silver in Compound Archery.
- BADMINTON: MEDALS: 2 (1 silver and 1 bronze medals) PV Sindhu secured a Silver and Saina Nehwal had to settle for a Bronze in individual events.
- BOXING: MEDALS: 2 (1 gold, and 1 bronze medals) Amit Panghal won the gold medal, in the 49kg category while Vikas Krishan secured the Bronze in Men’s 75kg.
- HOCKEY: MEDALS: 2 (1 silver and 1 bronze medals) Women’s Team won a Silver and the Men’s Team won a Bronze.
- KABADDI: MEDALS: 2 (1 silver and 1 bronze medals) Women’s Team won a Silver and the Men’s Team won a Bronze.
- ROWING: MEDALS: 3 (1 gold, and 2 bronze medals) The team of Sawarn Singh, Dattu Bhokanal, Om Prakash and Sukhmeet Singh secured the Gold in Men’s Quadruple Sculls. Dushyant won the Bronze in Men’s Lightweight Single Sculls. Rohit Kumar and Bhagwan Singh won the Bronze in Men’s Lightweight Double Sculls.
- SQUASH: MEDALS: 5 (1 silver and 4 bronze medals) The Women’s Team won a Silver while the Men’s Team won a Bronze. Dipika Pallikal Karthik, Joshna Chinnapa and Saurav Ghosal won Bronze in the Singles category.
- SHOOTING: MEDALS: 9 (2 gold, 4 silver and 3 bronze medals) 16-year old Saurabh Chaudhary won the gold medal in 10m Air Pistol, 15-year old Vihan struck a silver medal in Men’s Double Trap. Rahi Sarnobat secured the second gold medal for India in Women 25m pistol event, While Veteran shooter Sanjeev Rajput won a silver in 50m Rifle Positions Men. Ravi Kumar and Apurvi Chandela won the bronze in 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team event, while Abhishek Verma won the bronze in 10m Air Pistol men. Lakshay brought a silver for India in Men Trap while Deepak Kumar added a silver in 10m Air Rifle. Heena Sidhu secured Bronze in 10m Air Pistol in Women.
- TABLE TENNIS: MEDALS: 2 (2 bronze medals) Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan along with Manav Vikash, Anthony Arputharaj and Harmeet Desai won the bronze in Men’s Team event and Kamal combining with Manika Batra won the bronze in mixed doubles.
- TENNIS: MEDALS: 3 (1 gold, 2 bronze medals) Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan won the Asian Games men’s doubles gold medal and in singles, Prajnesh Gunneswaran and Ankita Raina won the bronze medal.
- WRESTLING: MEDALS: 3 (2 gold, and 1 bronze medals) Bajrang Punia won a Gold in 65 kg Freestyle wrestling and Vinesh Phogat won a Gold in Freestyle 50kg wrestling. Divya Kakran won the bronze medal in Freestyle 68 kg wrestling for India.
- BRIDGE: MEDALS: 3 (1 gold, and 2 bronze medals) Pranab Bardhan and Shibhnath Sarkar won Gold in Men’s Pair and Bronze in men’s team and mixed team .
- EQUESTRIAN: MEDALS: 2 (2 silver medals) Fouaad Mirza wins silver medal in Equestrian individual event. The Indian team comprising of Rakesh Kumar, Ashish Malik, and Jitender Singh also claimed a Silver in the Team event.
- MARTIAL ARTS(KURASH, WUSHU): MEDALS: 6 (1 silver and 5 bronze medals) Pincky Balhadra and Malaprabha Jadhav won silver and bronze respectively in Kurash women’s 52kg event. In Wushu, Roshibina Naorem won bronze in the women’s Sanda 60kg; and the men’s trio of Santhosh Kumar, Surya Bhanu Pratap Singh, Narender Grewal won in men’s Sanda 56kg, 60kg and 65kg categories respectively.
- SAILING: MEDALS: 3 ( 1 silver and 2 bronze medals) Varsha Gautham and Sweta Shervegar won a Silver in the 49er FX Women’s Event and Harshita Tomar won a Bronze in the Open Laser 4.7. Varun Thakkar Ashok and Chengappa Ganapathy Kelapanda also won a Bronze in the 49er Men’s Event.
- SEPAK-TAKRAW: MEDALS:1 (1 bronze medal) The Indian Men’s Regu team secured a Bronze.